Well rounded Cheese Sauce base that can be used in a variety of dishes. That uses a mixture of cheese sources comprised of Cottage Cheese, Cheese Whiz, Provolone Cheese, and Cheddar Cheese Powder. Powdered Parmesan & Romano Cheese can be included or not depending on what the Cheese Sauce is being used for.
Bechamel Cheese Sauce
The Proper Basic Cheese Sauce is made from equal parts of Flour and Fat. Then Milk is added to create a Bechamel Sauce.
Bechamel is a mother sauce used to create other sauces such as Cheese Sauce. Where Cheese is added and melted into the Bechamel creating a Cheese Sauce.
Flour & Fat gives you a gravy texture. I didn’t want that. I wanted something that would give me a Melted Cheese like texture. Mind you when you add the shredded cheese and it melts it does move away from a gravy type sauce. But I wanted to start with a thickener that delivers the cheese consistency right away.
Arrowroot does that perfectly. It’s a thickener that is glue like. Quite Different from Flour or Cornstarch. The Glue like texture is exactly in resemblance to melted cheese.
Supporting Cheese Flavor
I also wanted a well rounded Sauce. The Cottage Cheese and Provolone offer this in contrast to the Cheddar Cheese Powder and Cheese Whiz. And with the Cheddar Cheese Powder you can make this as strong or as weak as you want without losing out on that overall cheese taste. Because it is rounded and supported by the addition of Cottage Cheese and Provolone.
The Provolone also offers a deeper taste to balance out the highs of Cheese Whiz and Cheddar Cheese Powder. The Parmesan and Romano assist with this as well and offer extra umami. The Cheese Whiz helps with the color and is a supporting Cheese Taste.
The Seasoning is your common seasoning you typically find in Cheese Sauce and goes well with it. With the exception of Aleppo. Aleppo is about half as hot as chili peppers maybe even less but packed with so much more flavor. If you haven’t tried Aleppo Pepper you must.
The Turmeric helps with the Color.
Additional Seasonings that can go in to shape the overall flavor is Taco Seasoning, Cajun/Creole Seasoning, Chili Powder, Chipotle Powder, Ancho Powder, Buffalo Sauce or Powder, Brewers Yeast, Sriracha Sauce.
Cheese Sauce uses
I always use this recipe with Cheeseburger Soup.
Other places include is in Macaroni & Cheese, Beef Macaroni & Cheese, Baked Potatoes, Hamburger/Cheeseburger Poutine, Broccoli, Tuna Cheese Bake, and Nachos.
- 1 small Container Cottage Cheese – 300 g to 454 g
- 1 C Milk or Cream – Milk for thin or Cream for thickened
- 1/2 C Cheese Whiz
- 1/4 C Shredded Provolone Cheese
- 3-5 Tbl Cheddar Cheese Powder to taste – or 1 Kraft Dinner Cheese Packet
- 1 1/2 Tbl Arrowroot
- 1 Tbl Butter
- 1 Tbl Aleppo Pepper – or use 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes or more.
- 1 Tbl Parmesan Cheese Powdered
- 1 Tbl Romano Cheese Powdered
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt add more if needed
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric or Yellow food Coloring as needed
- handful Green Onions
- Combine all ingredients together in a sauce pot. Bring to Boil constantly stirring it with a whisk. Be sure to scrape the bottom as the sauce is heating up.
- Reduce Heat and Simmer until all the cottage cheese chunks have mostly dissolved. Keep whisking the sauce while it is cooking to keep things moving and not burn the cheese.
- Allow to cool and mix again before using.