Bagel Washed Hot Dogs
Change it up and go with Bagel Washed Hot Dogs. Steamed and Toasted Hot Dogs with the Hot Dog Buns brushed with a Bagel wash that causes a slight texture change and darker color when it’s toasted. Topped with Chopped Bacon, Red Pickled Onions, and Pickled Jalapenos. It’s a very enjoyable Hot Dog with a spicy kick.
Create your own Bagel Washed Hot Dogs with your favorite Toppings and Sauce.
The Bagel wash consists of 1 tsp of Baked Baking Soda and 4 tsp of water. Brush on the Hot Dog Buns before steaming and then toast in the oven with the hot dog.
While it doesn’t affect the texture as much as it does with Bagels. It does change it slightly and cause it to darken as it cooks.
When processing Bagels, they are usually simmered in water with a strong Alkaline using lye or baked baking soda solution. This causes the texture of the Bagels to change and causes them to cook up dark in the oven.
For these doggies we make a Bagel wash that is brushed on to the Buns.
Baked Baking Soda
To make the highly Alkaline Powder or Sodium Carbonate. Bake Baking soda in the oven on a lined baking sheet with tin foil for 1 hour at 250 F. Then let cool and empty into a container. Cover with a lid to keep it from absorbing moisture and store it in a cool dry place.
Careful this stuff is highly alkaline and can cause irritation to the skin and lungs if breathed in. Handle it with care. Once it is mixed into the food item you are using it for, it is fine.
This is used to make Bagels, Pretzels, chewy and springy Noodles, and other items. I also use this solution on Pizza Dough for a Bagel Crust Pizza Dough.
Everything Bagel Seasoning
These can be brushed with the Alkaline solution again after they have been steamed and Everything Bagel Seasoning sprinkled over the buns.
This one is topped with chopped Bacon, Jalapenos, and Sauerkraut. Another option for toppings might be with half Cream Cheese and Sour cream with chopped Cucumbers or Dill Pickles.
Steamie & Toastie
I really love the Steamed and Toasted Hot Dogs and Buns. This is how I do them to get Soft and Toasty Hot Dogs every time.
- Add Hot Dogs into a Pan with water over max heat
- Place a pizza Screen on top and Steam the buns, covered with a lid to trap the steam in. Steam for 20 – 30 seconds, flip them over and steam again for a few seconds.
- Set the Buns aside into a casserole dish and empty the water out. Return the Hot Dogs to the Pan with a bit of fat and fry them until your desired level of crispness over medium heat. Place them into the Buns.
- Place the Hot Dogs and Buns into a preheated oven at 450 F to toast for 5 minutes.
Bagel Washed Hot Dogs Toppings
I find that the Bagel Wash brings out the natural sweetness in the Hot Dog bun which pairs well with Salty and Acidic Toppings.
Chop the below Toppings.
- Pickled Red Onions
- Pickled Jalapenos.
You can throw on anything you want, but the above toppings really makes for a very delicious Hot Dog with a bit of heat.
Bagel Washed Hot Dogs
- 8 Hot Dogs
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- 8 slices Bacon
- 16 slices Pickled Jalepenos
- 1/4 C Pickled Red Onions
- 1 tsp Baked Baking Soda
- 4 tsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook in a skillet over medium heat until the desired level of crispness. Strain the Fat out and reserve for other dishes. Combine this with Pickled Red Onions & Pickled Jalapenos and chop. Set aside to top the Hot Dogs when they are done.
- Brush the Alkaline Solution on the Hot Dog Buns. Set aside.
- In the Same Pan you cooked the bacon in, add a bit of water and cook the hot dogs on max heat. Place a Pizza Screen on top and Steam the buns covered with a lid that allows room for the buns. Steam for a few seconds, then flip them over to steam a few seconds more. Place the Buns into a casserole dish.
- Empty the water out and return the Hot Dogs to the Pan to Sear over med high heat until the desired level. Then place the Hot Dogs into the hot dog buns and Toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Top with the Chopped Toppings and Serve with Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, or other Sauces.